CORUNNA — Murder defendant Mark Latunski has been declared incompetent to stand trial for the murder of 25-year-old Kevin Bacon, according to Shiawassee County Public Defender Doug Corwin.

Corwin confirmed Monday afternoon that his office had received the results of Latunski’s psychiatric examination from the state forensic center in Ypsilanti. The next step will be a hearing at 8:30 a.m. Thursday in 66th District Court, at which Judge Ward Clarkson could order Latunski be sent back to the forensic center until he is deemed competent to stand trial.

“On Feb. 24, 2020, I received the competency evaluation with regards to Mark David Latunski,” Corwin said in a press release. “The state of Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, The Center for Forensic Psychiatry, has opined that Mark David Latunski is not presently competent to stand trial.”

Latunski is facing open murder charges in connection with Bacon’s death in December 2019. Michigan State Police, acting on a request for assistance from the Clayton Township Police Department, found Bacon’s body in Latunski’s 703 W. Tyrrell Road residence Dec. 28. Latunski was arraigned Dec. 30, 2019, on the felony counts of open murder and mutilation of a human body.

“Troopers contacted the residence and spoke with (Latunski),” the affidavit states. “Latunski granted permission for MSP to enter and to search the residence for Mr. Bacon. A search of the residence resulted in finding Mr. Bacon hanging deceased and naked from the ceiling.”

MSP troopers said they read Latunski his Miranda rights, but he allegedly confessed to Bacon’s murder. He allegedly told troopers he planned to “make jerky” and “fertilize his fruit trees” with Bacon’s remains.

“Mr. Latunski stated that he used a knife, stabbed (Bacon) in the back one time, then slit his throat,” the affidavit states. “Afterward, Mr. Latunski stated he wrapped rope around the ankles of Mr. Bacon and hung him from the rafters on the ceiling. In addition, Latunski admitted to using the knife to cut off Mr. Bacon’s testicles, which he later consumed.”

The Argus-Press reported in November 2019 that an unidentified man fled Latunski’s home. Another man allegedly fled the residence in October 2019.

Michigan State Police troopers talked to both men, but no charges were filed because the encounters were considered consensual.

Latunski was taken to Memorial Healthcare in Owosso at least twice last week after being found unresponsive in his cell. He was treated and returned to the jail each time.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.